Happy New Years, Status Report, What's been going on.

This is for game related discussion that doesn't fall into the category of "help". Have a tip for other players? Want to discuss what is the best weapon? Mastered a certain tactic and want to share secrets? This is where you want to post.
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Happy New Years, Status Report, What's been going on.

Post by NiteHawk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Hello guys.

I just wanted to say Happy New Years first off. I hope most of you been having a good year.

So, for the 'what's been going on' type deal. It's been a mess for me. I lost my job early this year, and it's been a struggle to get work. I do not have my Masters in my field, and most people in Sweden expect it since schooling is free. So I've been trying to take courses to get that done. It's going to be a bit, unfortunately, there's no way I can speed this up. I'm also in debt, about 3.5k now, which isn't a big deal, but it kind of does hurt when you don't have a income at all and the interest rate keeps piling up each month. It's a bit nasty, at the moment I'm able to hold off the interest rates by taking odd and end jobs but eh. Life as such.

Mainly, what's been going on here is most of my time has been for school, and trying to deal with freelance jobs for web based or windows based applications, and it's VERY tough to compete with people, specially on freelance sites because a lot of people from poor countries tend to take the jobs for sub-par amount of cash. Thus it ends up being a bit of a mess for me. The server that SF.NET is being on is currently being hosted freely, but any donations to it go directly to the host. It's a bit shitty on that aspect and I don't think he'll host me forever free.

The problem with getting a job here also has been due to the language barrier. I will admit I slacked on learning the language, but I didn't expect my bosses to split/part ways and dissolve the company as they did. Would be my fault though for waiting that long. I'm currently in school for learning the Swedish language too, so hopefully I can at least take some sort of shitty job for now around here in 6 months/1 year.

So there is a lot of things going for me right now, and it's been why I haven't even really navigated here. The project has been on halt for the most case but I've coded it from time to time. It really does need me to be a bit more stable though, and have some sort of income. My main deal is getting that debt out of the way first. So if 'anyone' has or knows any people who need websites done, installations, any windows applications that aren't overly complex, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Anyways, status report. The game works with XML and a lot of things can be done with XML. It's still in early stages of just flying, etc. But you can place objects around and fly your own ship, so it has that going for it. Thrusters work with a customizable XML file to make neat particle effects. No weapon system yet though. I may have a month to work on the game to get an alpha, but even still I doubt I'll be able to continue it once school starts again in February or so.

There is one question I had though too, this is farfetched though. The game right now uses model files for the ships. I'm wondering if a top down/2.5D voxel based game would be neat. Voxel based would be essentially blocks. You would design you ship using blocks, half blocks, angle blocks, etc. Blocks would probably have health points and can be destroyed. Something simple, but the way you design your ship could be how it moves, the firepower, etc. Essentially though, it wouldn't be SF 2.0, then again, my 'new game' was never intending on being SF 2.0, only a new version of a space flyer. Thing that worries me if its been done to much, the basic space shooter I mean. Would it ever pick up if there wasn't something new. This is why I was wondering about a block based shooter. That is mainly just the basics of it. It would be more complex (sizable blocks, color, etc) And I am even wondering if anyone here would enjoy something like that instead. If that's the case I would change the main ship models to basic blocks and make a ship editor in game. How would people feel about that?

In any case, this isn't a promise for anything, only a ask of a direction before I get too 'into' the project because changing stuff later in the game is a bad move when alot of it is coded. As of now, not much is really there yet so it's a good ask since it's a big direction of the game. Keep the SF feel, or something new, voxel based?

Once my situation clears up and I'm able to work again fully, I'll get into it again.

Anyways, just the basic info anyways. Thanks guys.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Happy New Years, Status Report, What's been going on.

Post by NiteHawk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the offer guys ;) Right now I have hosting for another year until I will have issues. If the offer is still up then I will hit you guys up.