SF 2.0 - Relase Imminent?

This is for game related discussion that doesn't fall into the category of "help". Have a tip for other players? Want to discuss what is the best weapon? Mastered a certain tactic and want to share secrets? This is where you want to post.
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: SF 2.0 - Relase Imminent?

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:52 am

Well, we are right now focused on getting SF 2.0 released, there is still some to do, and we need to finish up the network coding, but once that done the Nexus creation for getting stats/chatting shouldn't take long at all.

I'm not sure in terms where the network coding is yet, though, Trompete would have more on that, but I think he has been crazy busy on a project right now at work so he hasn't had much time just yet. We'll get there though. :P

Right now the only reason these boards are up is because I was able to get 2 weeks off work, so I slammed down with SF pretty much every day. It's nice to have some time off, otherwise things are slow for me:P I want to get the remaining sidebar stuff that is missing done before my vacation is done though.

Edit: Oh also I think Brent was working on SF using multicore to help the load, since when there are many ships, having the graphics, network, and generic game processing in one load really hurts everything. This one is a big one though, probably would take a bit of time, sorry :)

In terms of coding I would guess we have a few months left before release with working nexus with some security to prevent exploiting (aka golden mods pretty much)

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:04 am

Relentless wrote:Cool thanks for taking the time to respond Nite. Always great to have a rough idea. I realize it could change at any time and anyone reading this should too ;).
Yeah we originally tried to use raknet with most of the current way the network coding is, but it doesn't work at all and the game gets out of sync because of the way objects are handled. Kind of frustrating and a pain in the ass/unexpected. Guess can't do anything about it but change it ;)

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 am

Well, overall I have been working on things for the game, but we really need the networking going. Brent and I have been super busy from work, and I do not know network coding well enough to fix the game at it's current messy state.

I'm not really sure if Brent got some of the networking done over the holidays or not, but hopefully. I'll have to talk to him about it this weekend when I get some time off.

Sorry about the delay, in honesty, I have not been checking the forums rather often since it's been so quiet, working 12 hours a day is getting stressful anyways and all I end up doing is sleeping. ;)

I could make a nexus in all honesty, but that doesn't change the fact that the networking in 1.4 sucks, and the networking in 2.0 needs a huge change to get out of that 1.4 issue of syncing problems. I don't really know what I can do here in terms of networkking and making it pristine, it isn't my field at all.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 pm

How is that that new game anyways? Going to get it soon myself, looks pretty rad. ;)

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Oh no was talking to tromp ;P