Crickets

This is for game related discussion that doesn't fall into the category of "help". Have a tip for other players? Want to discuss what is the best weapon? Mastered a certain tactic and want to share secrets? This is where you want to post.
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Crickets

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Well, Brents been working on the python, I'm working on little things like ship saving atm. Brent has most of the python coding in but hes making functions to communicate between the coding and python.

I haven't been getting slammed with work lately, so it's been hard to do much, and by the time I'm done working, looking at 10 hours a day of coding, I want to relax instead, need work to calm down a bit.

It's just progressing slowly, it'll get there, but it's more of a project that will get done when it does. I think it's the network coding that has us annoyed by working on it, mainly because it's such a mess, and it needs to be redone almost from scratch because of all the issues it has caused, minus the Raknet coding that was added. Brent and I have alot of work lately so its hard with just two to have a ton of time anyways. Sorry though. I know it's been quiet and all. Suppose its just going to have too until we have something presentable.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Crickets

Post by NiteHawk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Yeah, we got bando in, he's trompetes buddy. He'll be doing a large portion of the python once we get it rolling well.

Some things were added so far, I just haven't bothered speaking up, such as weapons having two types of damage (shield/hull), shields can have a delay to recharge if the shield hits null (Lets say you lose all your shields, takes 5 seconds for it to start generating again, settable of course. This onyl happens when you hit 0 shields, not per hit.), and saving ships is in as well, which handles 3 different saved loadouts per ship, etc. Eventually we'll make it so you can swap and trade loadouts. But loading/saving loadouts is actually in too. Python is added, but we need to make functions for it so players can develop scripts using the functions attached to the game coding.

Brents going to get working on the coding for the networking, since I can't do it mainly since I'm no good with network, probably within a month and a half. He's already stated to me he is quite busy for a month but he let me know he'll be working on the network/python soon.

Once that's done I'll be able to finish the nexus to client. I can't touch the nexus yet when the networking is not fully working yet/etc. (Not sure how we are going with this yet.)

Right now I'm just doing what I can to make the game a bit better. I'm actually going to attempt to make shields a bit more apparent, possibly a very transparent layer around the ship. I have an idea to attempt to pick out what is transparent and what is not. I really want to make the game more 'up to date' though in terms of looks as well.

I'm probably also going to take a look at ship movement so strafing is a bit more easier and the gamefeel is a bit smoother as well. Right now strafing in SF sucks/its underused because its a pain to do and it 'doesn't actaully strafe properly.

Brent already has the game syncing well in terms of gameplay, the problem is because it uses SLOTS, which aren't synced up, the game ends up getting out of sync over time from spawning objects that have different slots from server vs client, if that make any sense. The only solution is to redo ALL of the messages,and use a unique ID for all ships, missiles, colonies, etc. But it's no easy feat.

Apologies we haven't really been updating lately in terms of the forums. In terms of a alpha release, I'd 'hope' to do it by quarter 1 of next year. If brent can get stable/syncing SF (which requires a ton of work, though, the networking in 1.3 using slots is a mess) and I get the nexus done, we'll be good for a release.