SF/SP

General gameplay ideas that don't fit into other categories go here.
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: SF/SP

Post by NiteHawk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:01 am

I am not sure of what Starport is, but I will look sometime into trying it. (Took a quick glance). It looks like a MMO, I am guessing that it doesn't actually use real time fighting? I still want to keep that part as SF was. I do not like the whole random dice roll to hit, miss, etc.

I would still keep the aspects of the arcade style too, depending on modding you can make a more long term combat, or a a short arcade SF type, where the game will reset after you capture X amount of planets.

Looking at that game, it looks like you have to land on the planets to capture. I do not think landing the planet is a good idea in terms of that, I want it to be mostly space. In a 2D environment it seems like a mess though. Maybe a better idea could be to expand the planet sizes and base the guns on there.

I still want the combat fast paced aspect that SF has, real time, but I just want it to be more interactive in what you can do in the actual game if you choose to. Again, though, I will make a similar base to SF in terms of arcade, but I want something more interesting, at least in offline play.

I think it would be more like SF, but have a long term goal instead after capturing planets. Players could start in Arc/Terran/etc as well if that works. Just need to figure out how it all will be, reason why I need to hash it out with everyone here.

Nothing here is set, just ideas right now.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:02 am

Ah wow that is similar to how SF is, is that a older game?

Seems like a mix between SF outside and then Continuum when on planets, (some sort of maze style in cont). Pretty cool though. I am guessing in that game you dont lose any parts on death, maybe money if its PVP or something.

But combat in that game really resembles SF anyways in terms of space combat.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Havik wrote:You lose the ship you paid for, it was released in 04 and it used to have a huge playerbase but has died down quite a bit.

Give it a go whenever you have the chance you'll see it seems to be the game your describing.
Ahh yeah will do this weekend.

In any case, how would you aim to be different if you were to create a game, there are alot of games out there, even like SF. (Just want to know maybe you have some ideas.) I'd like to make something different, even if slightly, somehow anyways :) something more fresh/new. Modding will be a huge part of this game as well, and scripting, which should be cool.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Havik wrote:The only thing that set SF aside from all the other 2d space shooters was the ability to modify just about everything.

I don't have any great ideas for a new game but I like most of yours, maybe I'll come up with something later on.
Let me know. I am still aiming to keep what SF has, total modification, and I want it to the point where you can actually overload the AI, game physics, etc, to add your own stuff. For example if tractoring wasn't available, someone could design it through plugin DLL files, etc. I want to make sure everything is moddable, but I want the base game to be fun too and have some content to it.

The whole multiplayer idea will come after, probably during the middlish, more early, want a good base first.

I'd love to add things that haven;t been done before, even if its a mix of a few things to create one product that people would crave, just need to think up more about it.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:54 pm

ST: Online isn't too bad, I have played it up until level 60 I believe it was (Or was it even that level, it was the max level on game release.)

The whole idea of being able to go to planet mode was kind of neat. But that really only works in a 3D game, I would really say. It looks kind of messy unless you would use maybe basic 2D style vehicles since your main ship would be too large typically to do land attacks. I never really liked STOs version of it. Felt like a really cheap version of a MMO, but more single player. I did love the space battle part of it alot more, specially the unique runs.

The gameplay was neat though, it was a bit more slow paced from what I remember, but it was still fun. Space battles were cool when they were pretty large, I highly enjoyed the borg parts too.

For ideas though, not sure what ones I can take to it. The skill system for characters and people on your ship were rather cool, bit unique to have co-people that you can train.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 pm

jorgea wrote:The random part of the roll of dice is one feature I also do not like.
Most people don't in many games. Often makes it super boring. Real-time is way better, but the reason for dice rolls in large multiplayer games is mainly for efficiency. It's alot on the servers.

In our case, we don't need to worry about that. I doubt any 2D game is going to get a massive amount of players (I'm speaking about the amounts that would make servers die) so we are going to be doing real-time gameplay for sure ;)