General Modding

Modding will be a big part of the game, and we need ideas on how to structure this!
NiteHawk
Game Developer

General Modding

Post by NiteHawk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm looking at using XML files for the most of it. It would be rather simple to create some sort of GUI editor for this as well, to make it easier. Overall I think it would be a good idea, but maybe people would prefer something more custom like SF currently is. The problem I have seen with SF however it alot of people end up having issues just because they used tabs rather then a space, or little needle in haystack bugs.

I would also make it so the error system is more knowledgeable compared to SF. Often the error would be a general error, and sometimes not even in the right place (I believe SF would just output the whole file?). I have a pretty simple idea to fix this for a nice little error control that will output in a nice HTML file with color indicating the 'error/warning' problems so you can quickly find out where issues may lay.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: General Modding

Post by NiteHawk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Also, for outside scripting, I was thinking LUA or Python. It depends though, I need to read up and see what's easily usable with XNA. There might be a already made system that it can use, and I'd just need to plugin and create some functions to respond to these scripts.