Individual Energy & Heat

Modding will be a big part of the game, and we need ideas on how to structure this!
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Individual Energy & Heat

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm

SF had individual energy on top of regular energy that charged up. Often you could fire a extra volley or two because of this, but overall in SF it was not used enough to be effective I feel and mostly relayed on your main energy.

I have mixed feelings on this one.

Pros:
-A bit different then most games.
-Can be used to fire energy type weapons a bit more without depleting your main energy

Cons:
-Hard to understand.
-Balance issues, tough to balance something like that in most cases.
-Easier to just up the main energy a bit and disregard this altogether. Plus with ballistic type weapons, this is not used as much.

So that sums up that. I am leaning towards not including it but including something else, which is HEAT.

Heat can either be individual based per module, or a total. I think it would be fine to keep it as a total 'heat' bar rather then individual, and would be easier to balance, but I am not 100% sure on that. Keeping it individual vs not means completely different tactics in terms of battles.

Heat would rise when firing guns. It could also slowly rise for other general things like cloak so some person can not be cloaked for a long period of time, but unsure. Cloak and such could still obviously have a time limit if needed, but this is where the individual heat would play better, since you could probably work it easier there.

Not sure yet, what does everyone think?