Plotting the Universe Gameplay

Planets, nebulas, stars and the like. How should we travel between systems (if any), should the game be persistent or arcade (SF) like, perhaps both?
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Plotting the Universe Gameplay

Post by NiteHawk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:00 pm

The main thing is, persistent word vs arcade style.

SF lacks a storyline base and a persistent world for single player use. However, I think having a persistent world might be a good thing to do where you can upgrade your character and ship as you see fit when playing online.

Arcade could still be added if people really want it, but when I view alot of games that support it, alot of people are playing more of a scenario/persistent world then the quick arcade version. However, you need to develop around that too then. SF as it is, is built for arcade play in terms of the speed it is. (Bout 45-60 minute games in a standard SF scenario). Planets are easy to capture and everything dies if you just blow on it.

The first thing I do want to work on is a decent single player experience, but taking the multiplayer aspect in mind, since that will be the goal to do.

My idea would be to attach the systems using gates. In SF, you could far travel to attach systems, but to me, flying for 2 minutes is a bit ridiculous and boring for a 2D game. Using gates should be a nice mix between the two (gates could be on either end of the system, so you still have to travel.) So you could remove the basic warp system and keep it to standard movement (unsure yet).

I don't want to do a linear gate system (aka only one exit and entrance), I would want to branch it out., sometimes systems having up to lets say, 4 exit points. I would think for online play, there could be a more 'safe' systems and then you have more player owned systems in the outskirts that could be captured/claimed in the future. Something to keep up the whole PVP feel and make it more interesting and fun to do some clan wars by player territory that can be claimed. I'm not exactly sure how it will be based yet with the player. (Aka if the player will be more independent and neutral to everyone, or will start off to Terrans, Arc, Dreng, etc like it currently is. I would think if its more persistent the player would start off a mercenary, maybe more favored by the choice of race he wants, and go from there.) In either case I would like to keep the combat at a nice pace though.

If we do go a more persistent world, we need to figure out a better way to make/design planets so they are more tough. Currently a single player can wreck havoc on everything. Planet capture would be seen more for a territorial thing for clans or for personal use rather then capture a system to win the game.

People might still prefer the capture the system to win the game and reset type deal. It's something I'd need input from by you guys, the ending stuff is more futuristic, but I need a base to start with, either being persistent or arcade, since the two don't typically mix for a start point.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Plotting the Universe Gameplay

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:41 am

Actually, I think we can do persistent to do, and for a simple arcade version (SF wise), you create a map with no stargates and I'll make a function/command to flush the system once all planets are owned or something like that.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:22 pm

That sounds like a pretty neat idea. Could be arcade style battlezone areas. I wonder how ships would be although in there, for example, should players lose money in the persistent world, or there ship itself (could just respawn).

I am not sure yet how the persistent world will work, if it would be on death of a ship you'd maybe get some credits for insurance back, or if you'd respawn in the same ship. Maybe you would get 'podded' like in Eve and have to go to a station to buy a new ship that way, etc. That method would also work in certain games as a unique way for a respawn time so that the player doesn't constantly run down a starbase or ship until it is dead by mass jumping it over and over with mines until its dead, for example.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Zireael wrote:@ up, I don't think Project X should have mines nor starbases.

As for persistent world, I would prefer keeping the ship, but having to buy equipment anew.
There were some good suggestions for SF, I can't remember off the top of my head, but they were concerned with an award system of a sort. Maybe it could be implemented?
Award system? Do you mean like how WoW and other games handle achievements or something like that?

Or did you mean more like Darkspace, where 100 kills could get you a bronze combat badge, 500 kills could be a silver combat badge, 10 planets colonized could be a bronze colonizer badge. Something like that. The badges were actually planned like a achievement type thing, but could partake into different ships that you could potentially use, like a silver combat badge might unlock a couple more unique ships in that category.