Structures

Planets, nebulas, stars and the like. How should we travel between systems (if any), should the game be persistent or arcade (SF) like, perhaps both?
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Structures

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 pm

This is something I wanted to do in SF but it was such a mess to do it never actually got implemented. I wanted it so that you yourself could build and fit most structures. All structures would obviously have some sort of base and be limited to certain weapons. The following buildings are the ideas currently:

-Starbase (Very Costly), Great defense. Lacks offense but is similar to a carrier in terms of launching fighters for actual offense. Has base point defense weapons to take down alot of bombardment weapons. Increases planet population increase by 25% (Or something like that.). Can build general ships. Can be used for trade.

-Base Platform. General planet defense. Many can be fit with certain modules for general needs. Some examples could be a sensor platform for cloaking ships, a weapons platform, etc. They could also come in three sizes, small/medium/large. I would assume that we would have some sort of limit as well, not sure how yet. Each type could hold a certain amount of weapon and module slots.

-Shipyard - Many defense, lacks general offense. Can build ships. Is relativity cheap.

-Starport (Cheap) - A smaller structure thats main purpose if for trade. Lacks offense, cheap to build. Planets with many resources should have these.

That would be the base I would say for orbital structures that could be build. Starport may be removed in most case, as may the shipyard. Depends on where we go with this. I believe that planets should also be able to be build apon, which I'll post about next. I will also talk about resources there if we go that route.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Structures

Post by NiteHawk » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Zireael wrote:Post more about resources and structures. So far I like the ideas.

What will happen to the structures and resources when a planet is colonized?
I will discuss it more when I am home soon, in about a week. I do need to think up something for resources though. I will bring up something I was thinking about though.

If you colonize a planet that is owned by someone else, I am unsure yet, there are probably two options, it becomes owned by the player who captured it (Or fleet). This should work for at least resources, regardless of structures. Resources are on a planet, so technically whoever owns the planet holds the resources.

Structures it is tough to say, I would say they convert as well, but the last option is simply that it doesn't convert, and you\d need to clear off everything. Maybe a way to 'capture' structures afterwards, but that idea seems rough. Since it is a 2D game, more fast pased, capturing planets would end up being a bunch of people suiciding with whatever basic ships is needed, so could be rather lamely played. So I would say any orbital structures would be captured as well and converted, with no way to convert other then capturing the planet.

For the most case, you'd probably blow up alot of the structures regardless before capturing the planet. I would think that defenses would be active on structures and weapon platforms, so trying to rush would probably lead you bleeding.