Persistent World? (or close too)

Want to pitch an idea of the latest gadget that should be added to ships? Maybe you have an issue with ship balancing? This is where to post!
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Persistent World? (or close too)

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 pm

This is more of a future/random thing (Just throwing up topics here). I'm not removing the idea of 'quick match games', which is how SF currently is, quick battles that last a hour or two and the world resets. Non-Persistent Worlds would always stay.

Once we actually get 'orbital buildings' and 'building on a planet' nicely done, it will make for more interesting things that could be used for a persistent world. Taking over world in a persistent world would involve some planning, different weapons, teaming, etc.

Systems would be linked together using gates, so you don't need to fly 'forever' to reach one target to another. Instead of having colonies, you would have people 'board' your ship using pods, and be unboarded using pods, for example. So if you don't take down the defenses enough, they might be shot down, etc. I'm not sure on how this would all work yet though.

Some other ideas would be resources on worlds, some worlds having other/different resources. Used for planets and ships. (transport and scouts being cheap/free) Planets could be owned by fleets (and by race). I would think the final winner would be the players that cap all planets, which would be hard to do. Could have a nice display per system on who owns who/etc posted.

Darkspace does something similar, its a 3D game but its pretty interesting. I really like there persistent meta-verse world though :) Throw up some ideas/post here if you like/hate what you think would be cool.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Persistent World? (or close too)

Post by NiteHawk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:37 pm

That's a good idea overall, would be neat to see how that would work too :)