Q-Drive limitations

Want to pitch an idea of the latest gadget that should be added to ships? Maybe you have an issue with ship balancing? This is where to post!
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Q-Drive limitations

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Moved topic over.
Okay, first of all, just remember that the gameplay feel (ship movement/etc) will feel alot nicer/smoother like a new aged game will in the future, so try to put that into this whole factor. Rather, that we are going to be working on changing how things work in game, but to a point that it still feels like SF, but more fresh.

Anyways, while I was working on the stats, this randomly popped up in my head, I know we have discussed it lightly, and would like peoples feedback on the matter.

First off, QDRIVE Limitations. (warp drive limitations). There probably needs to be one, overall. Right now ships can bounce left and right with no isssues, and it can be a problem, specially with bigger ships, or carriers, whom run as soon as there targetted. I've seen alot of fights, and I don't want QDRIVES to be completely useless in fights (As it does help to jump behind a person sometimes), but something to prevent them from using 5 qdrive warps in a split second would probably benefit combat more. My two suggestions to solve this:

1. QDrive Delay after use: So let's say you jump a target in a Dreadnought, after the jump, there is a X second delay before you can use it again. The 'X' seconds will be moddable, so you can still have INSTANT (or almost instant) ships. This would most likely be a module value on the qdrive values, so you can make variations of qdrives, for example, the faster the qdrive, the longer it takes to charge up, for example. With this and grouping, you can make 'qdrives' limited to ships if you wish as well (Much like qdrives that work on 'mass'.). You could even have a starbase being able to warp, with a lets say, 3 minute delay. I probably wouldn't do this for the main SF mod, but just stating, it COULD be possible! This method would probably flow more with SF though.

2. QDrive Delay before use: This was the original idea I believe ATC brought up. As soon as you hit the key to warp, it aligns the jump, and the jump does not activate for X amount of seconds. I do prefer the first idea since it I believe it would benefit the SF feel more then waiting for a jump, because when you are aligning, you would most likely be a complete sitting duck. Though it might promote more strategic ideas and plotting warp jumps.

So those are the two ideas. There are also some additional things that people can suggest if they like. Vote on these additional things please:

A. When you QDrive, you need to be below X amount of speed, if you are over this speed, your speed will reduce until the target speed to warp or under is achieved. This will work while your ship is aligning for the jump, and shouldn't be too rough.
B. When you Qdrive, the drive will start from 0.0, and progress to get faster, as you near your destination, the ship will 'slow down' giving a warp in and warp out speed affect. I really like this idea overall, and it was suggested by several people. It's mainly for smoothness and giving a acceleration feel, rather then the bland 'max speed' in two seconds. You should be able to set the acceleration speed however, defines warp drives even more!
C. Warp effects: The stars would look 'like trails' when warping, giving that neat warp effect. If you played DarkSpace, Eve Online, or just watched Star Trek/etc, you will see they have some sort of warp effect. Though this wouldn't be in anytime soon, it would be on the lower todo list.

One more thing, I was also thinking of being able to select dead space and warp to it. This could act like 'emergency jumps' when nothing is near or you need a quick get away, or you simply want to jump RIGHT BEHIND someone. Ths idea to limit QDrives is to make it so people aren't bouncing all over the place, aka firing a couple weapons, and running. It makes it impossible to hit someone when doing this. Though I'm aiming to have the qdrive warp time not anything drastic, I think a small delay after jumping would be best. It will still promote you jumping here and there every FEW seconds, but not in a split second, get me?

Of course, this will all be moddable

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Q-Drive limitations

Post by NiteHawk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Karmine wrote:You should be able to stop Q-Drive whenever you want, however the weird part is that while warping you can turn your ship.

What if you need to go out of warp to turn your ship, so when switching location you exit warp turn your ship at new location and warp again. After all some ships are very heavy and take long to turn normally, why can they almost do it instantly in warp ?

Being able to warp to any location on the map would be rather splendid if possible, it allows duels or small combat in area with no traffic or planets.

I think you should not be able to turn in Qdrive until you stopped. I agree though, you SHOULD be able to stop QDRIVE whenever you want though. In Darkspace, another game I've got access to play around with, the general idea is you jump to a target, which ends up being a beeline jump to the position where you activated your jump drives (aka if you jumped and it took you 15 seconds to hit a target, that target might not be there anymore, or flew off a good distance). You could however, stop jump in the middle of a jump, and change positions. But there is always a delay AFTER jumping, to jump again. This would mean that you couldn't jump, then change positions while in jump. You would have to get out of QDRIVE, change positions, and jump again. Something like this I really like.

I want to being in point and click jumping though, mainly to help with this method above. You can make plans to jump someone in deep space (aka in front of them etc) closer then a target jump would do if you plan it properly.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Q-Drive limitations

Post by NiteHawk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Ah like a quick jump feature, yeah that could be a possibility too :)