Credits & Module 'Pickup'

Want to pitch an idea of the latest gadget that should be added to ships? Maybe you have an issue with ship balancing? This is where to post!
NiteHawk
Game Developer

Credits & Module 'Pickup'

Post by NiteHawk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 pm

This was a original one, but modified.

Most people notice that in 1.4, the way you gain credits is random, easy, and credits overall are worthless. The original state was that we were going to change it to something like "If you pickup a module and it is upgradeable, it will upgrade your module. If you don't have anything to upgrade, it will credit you a percentage of the module, which is configurable in the data file." This worked nicely.

However, I always thought upgrading in mid space was silly/annoying. Specially on weapons. Having to always lock weapons/modules so they don't upgrade is a pain in the ass too. ATC brought up that since we are changing the way colonies can be picked up (Aka actually being added to your cargo bay rather then a ship that is tractor-ed to you (aka the colony ship that docks on to you once you hit J to grab a colony), and I really liked this idea. This would give a better purpose to ships like the transport ships, for example.

This ultimately plays in, that any modules picked up, go to your cargo bay. Thus you can only pick up or transfer a limit of modules, depending on your ship. So using a 'transport' ship might be used for gaining credits, aka picking up modules in space and selling them. You could also dock at a starbase and equip some modules that you've picked up, or sell them. This would give a nice variance so that if you pick up several enemy modules (since I want to give different style weapons per race, different modules like shields/etc too) you could pick the ones YOU want, and sell the junk.

Right now, you don't really lose credits because you gain most of them back on death. You actually only lose credits if you log off after modifying a ship. I think ANY CREDITS that you spend, should be LOST (not on logout, only on death.) because you LOST the ship. Pretty obvious reasons right? This would give some play and credits would be worthwhile.

Credits may also be able to be donated to a fleet, maybe for fleet upgrades, like for 'more players' on the fleet. Not sure yet!

Overall this will make credits harder to achieve, and more useful when modding a ship. I think it will give it a nice balanced feel, rather then credits being some worthless stat.

NiteHawk
Game Developer

Re: Credits & Module 'Pickup'

Post by NiteHawk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Transports ships should probably have more armor and be able to take several hits, something like a mining laser might be a cool idea if we bring in resources, though! I'd prefer to make it less hellish then Eve Online though ;)